SIMATIC ET 200MP – The New Generation of Distributed I/O
The SIMATIC ET200MP I/O system with IP20 degree of protection is scalable; it is used in a distributed / remote configuration connected to PROFINET or PROFIBUS (available soon). Up to 30 I/O modules can be inserted into each station. The modules have a low parts variance and the front connector is standardized for all 35 mm-wide modules. This considerably simplifies ordering, logistics, and spare parts storage. The SIMATIC ET 200MP enables shorter bus cycle times and faster reaction times, even for large quantity structures.
Providing Maximum Performance
ET 200MP closes the functional and performance gaps in classical systems to enable use for new applications and in new market segments. The major precondition is that overall system performance is completely optimized.
For SIMATIC ET 200MP, it begins with the I/O modules. Digital I/O modules are available with extremely short filtering times and analog modules with conversion times down to 125μs for 8 channels. To ensure that the data is transported at high speed, ET 200MP uses an internal backplane bus that is approximately 40 times faster than today’s S7-400 PLCs. In addition, SIMATIC ET 200MP consistently makes use of innovative PROFINET mechanisms, so that bus cycle times down to 250μs will be available at delivery release. They can be coupled to the isochronous task of the CPU (isochronous mode).
The system is designed so that the user only needs to buy and install what is required for the application at hand. In addition to cost-effective Basic Modules (BA) with no diagnostics or parameters, Standard Modules (ST) have load group or module parameterization and diagnostics, as well as High Feature (HF) modules where each individual channel can be diagnosed and parameterized. High Speed (HS) modules will become available for maximum performance requirements. Therefore, the user can always select the best technical and economical module for the application, depending on requirements.
The backbone of the system is the self-establishing backplane bus. The required U connectors are supplied with each I/O module. An active backplane bus is being developed for customers who require the function “reactionless removal and return during operation.”
Excellent usability is critical for new I/O systems. Many features of I/O modules are standardized, such as the voltage levels 24V DC, 48V DC, or 230V, AC of digital modules, or the temperature characteristic curves of analogue modules. However, by providing intelligent product features, the ET 200MP is distinguished from other modules. It also saves the user work by avoiding errors and reducing installation and commissioning time. Whereas components such as CPUs or HMIs are only installed a few times in a plant, I/O modules are installed hundredfold or even a thousand-fold. Each minute of saved installation time accrues to the user’s bottom line.
The SIMATIC ET 200MP system features the following user benefits in its handling:
- Uniform 40-pole front connector simplifies ordering, logistics, and stock keeping.
- Uniform pin assignment, depending on module type, simplifies wiring and helps to avoid errors.
- Integral voltage jumpers simplify wiring and permit flexible subsequent modifications.
- The cable duct grows with the system and ensures a uniform appearance, even with large cross-section wires and/or thick insulations.
- The prewiring position of the front connector enables convenient wiring, both during initial commissioning and in changes during operation.
- The ET200MP mounting din rail has integrated standard din rail which enables snapping on many standard components (e.g., additional terminals, automatic fuses, small relays).
- The 1:1 cross-reference between channel status LED or diagnostic LED, terminal, and label enables fast localization and correction of errors. The wiring diagram on the inside of the front door provides additional support.
- The integrated shielding for analog and technology modules ensures reliable and robust operation, particularly with high-speed applications. No tools are required for assembly.
New system features and functionality include:
- Universal use of the Identification and Maintenance data IM0 to IM3 provides quick electronic and unambiguous identification of individual modules.
- Universal firmware update is available for the interface module and all I/O modules for later functional expansions.
- Bus cycle time of >=250μs and coupling to isochronous task enables the implementation of applications with maximum performance requirements.
- Up to 30 modules in one station saves interface modules and installation time.
- No MMC is required; automatic address assignment occurs via LLDP or manually via PST Tool.
For more information on the ET200MP, please click here.Have an Inquiry for Siemens about this article? Click Here >>