PROFINET (Process Field Net) is the standard for industrial networking in automation. It brings Ethernet to the factory floor where it collects data from, and controls industrial systems, equipment, devices and systems to improve the quality and efficiency of manufacturing.
But many other standards and communication protocols exist within the industrial world. One of the more important ones is BACnet, which is a data communication protocol for building automation and control networks. Developed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), BACnet is known worldwide.
In situations where building control networks interact with factory floor and other industrial Ethernet-based systems, PROFINET and BACnet must be integrated. This is now possible using the Siemens SIMATIC PN/BACnet LINK. It is used to connect a PROFINET network to the BACnet building automation bus and exchange data. This gives users the option of communicating with up to 1000 BACnet objects and 1000 subscribe services.
It is available to users of the Siemens Totally Integrated Automation Portal (TIA Portal) v14 or higher. As the gateway to automation in the Digital Enterprise, the TIA Portal provides unrestricted access to the complete range of Siemens digitalized automation services. The TIA Portal offers a hardware support package to integrate TIA with the SIMATIC PN/BACnet LINK.
This makes it possible to:
- Import .csv or .ede files
- Scan the BACnet network
- Manually setup the configuration.
The SIMATIC PN/BACnet LINK has an internal PROFINET switch and integrates itself seamlessly into a PROFINET network. Thus, it acts as a gateway from PROFINET to BACnet/IP networks according to DIN EN ISO16484-5 and Addendum ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 135-2012.
Further features and functions include:
- Integrated PROFINET switch & RJ45 socket for BACnet
- BACnet features: Client & Server, Device profile: B-GW, Change of Value / cyclic and acyclic data exchange, and Scan of the BACnet/IP network
- Supported BACnet object types: Device, Binary input, Binary output, Analog input and Analog output
- Supported BACnet services: DS-COV-A/B, DM-DDB-A/B, DM-DOB-B, DS-RP-A/B, DSWP-A/P and GW-EO-B
- Electrical isolation between the two networks
- Diagnostic interrupts
- Supported controllers: S7-1200, S7-1500, ET 200SP, OpenController
For more information on SIMATIC PN/BACnet LINK, click here.Have an Inquiry for Siemens about this article? Click Here >>