Industrial PC (IPC) operating systems must be compact, easily configurable and cover a wide range of requirements. While Linux operating systems already address these challenges, you still have to decide between using a ready-to-use distribution package or setting up an individual operating system—a time-consuming and costly process that must consider real-time capabilities, commissioning, technical support and more.
Siemens overcomes these challenges with the SIMATIC Industrial OS—a Linux-based operating system that offers an alternative to Windows-based operating systems in industrial environments. Already set up and tested on SIMATIC IPCs, the SIMATIC Industrial OS features a very small footprint while still including all the components necessary for fast commissioning and development.
The SIMATIC Industrial OS enables quick, easy setup and installation via the service USB flash drive, which also serves as a local repository. To install, simply download the image for the service USB flash drive, installation guide, product information and license certificate through the Siemens Industry Mall.
Other notable features and advantages include:
- Real-time capabilities
- Based on Debian 9—Long Term Support Kernel
- Pre-prepared for installing additional components—e.g. Gnome desktop environment
- Basic backup and restore capabilities via the service USB flash drive
- Optimum scalability and reusability—one image is provided for all SIMATIC IPCs
- Simple integration of other SIMATIC products and features
- Same product support as other SIMATIC products
To learn more about the Siemens SIMATIC Industrial OS, visit our product page.Have an Inquiry for Siemens about this article? Click Here >>